We know the blue checkmark in WhatsApp indicate the message was read by the receiver. Though it’s a helpful indicator to see if the message was read, many users resent this feature for lack of privacy.
For e.g., you read a message sent by someone, but you don’t want them to know that you read the message.
WhatsApp solved this problem by including updates to hide the status. This update is now applied to Android, iOS and Windows Platform.
Please Note: You can hide showing the read receipt notification to others. By doing so, you also lose the ability to see if your message was read by the receiver.
- Go to WhatsApp Settings -> Account -> Privacy
- Remove the check mark from Read Receipt
- Make sure you have version 2.12.1 and above
- Go to Account Settings -> Privacy
- Disable the option Read Receipt
In Windows Phone
- Go to WhatsApp Settings -> Accounts -> Privacy
- Turn off Read Receipts.