Importance of using fastest DNS Server for your system
There are lots of factors which affect broadband internet connection speed. But one of the least understood of all these factors is the Domain Name Server (DNS). DNS is responsible for converting the human readable domain name into numeric ipaddress and vice versa. If your system connects to a faster DNS server, the response will be quick which in turn will be reflected in speed of loading websites.
Suppose you want to visit the website atechjourney.com. Your web browser first checks the DNS resolver cache which might have stored the information if it already has the IP address cached for that domain name. If not, the system will then contact the DNS server which is usually the DNS server address provided by the local ISP(Internet Service Provider).
In case, if the contacted server failed to get the information, it will then contact another DNS sever located in a different location. The process is continued in a chain until it reaches a DNS server which is able to provide the details and it communicates back in a chain until the information reaches the original DNS server which requested the information. Depending on whether the ISP allotted DNS server is able to provide you the answer or not, your system will have to wait.
DNS server for your system is usually allocated by your ISP based on the service provider and the location where you are located. Sometimes you might find the DNS server provided for your location is either under-performing or unreliable which is responsible for the slow loading time of websites. So you can fix the problem by finding the fastest DNS server for your system.
How to find the fastest DNS server address for your system?
- select Include Global DNS providers and Include Best Available Regional DNS service options.
- Confirm your location.
- Click Start Benchmark.
- Wait until the tool runs a few test to find the best possible DNS server for your location.
In DNS Benchmark
- Select Nameservers tab and Add/Remove button
- Edit DNS Sever IPs window
- Select Build Nameserver Custom list
- In the pop up window, select Build Custom List
- It takes almost 40mts for the process to complete.
The tools will help in finding the fastest responding DNS server address. Make a note of the top 3 DNS ipaddesses which came top in the performance.
Configure your PC for connecting to the fastest DNS sever
- Click Start – Run – type ncpa.cpl
- Right click on Local Area Connection – Properties (If you are using wireless connection, right click on the active wireless network connection – properties)
- Under Network Tab – Select Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4) – Properties
- In the next window, select General tab, select Use the following DNS server addresses
- In the preferred field, enter the fastest DNS ipaddress obtained using benchmarking tools and under the alternate field, enter the second fastest DNS ipaddress.Then click OK.
- Close the network connection properties windows and restart the PC.
Configure your router for using the fastest DNS server
If your system is connected in a networked environment or use a router for connecting to connect to internet, then you need to configure the router settings for getting the maximum benefit.
- Log into router settings ( Check user manual for getting instructions on logging into router)
- Select Basic Setup or Network Setup
- Select Network Address Server Settings or DHCP settings
- Enter the ipaddress of the fastest DNS server address
- Save the changes and restart the router
Using these manual methods you can connect your system to the fastest DNS server. Following this method, you will notice improvement in page loading speed.