Windows 8 or 8.1 might fail to boot to desktop after installing Windows update. The windows update may not have installed properly leading to a corrupted file resulting in system crash. Here is a step by step instruction to fix reboot loop after installing Windows 8.1 updates.
Restart computer in Safe Mode
You may not be able to boot computer normally, but it might in safe mode.
- Restart computer.
- Press SHIFT + F8 key to get the safe mode screen
- Select Safe Mode
- After booting to desktop, go to C:\Windows\winsxs
- Find the file pending.xml and delete it
- Restart computer.If your computer is able to boot to desktop, run windows update again and make sure it is done properly this time.
If Safe Mode is not working
If your computer goes in a reboot loop even when safe mode fails, you need to troubleshoot using Windows 8 disk.
- Boot your computer from Windows 8.1 CD/DVD
- Go to Troubleshoot -> Advanced -> Command Prompt
- Inside command prompt, go to the directory using command cd C:\Windows\winsxs. Hit enter
- Use the command del pending.xml. Hit enter to delete the file.
Restart computer and hopefully you will be able to boot to desktop.
Fix Windows 8.1 0xC1900101-0x40017 error
Fix Error Code 80072EE7 on Windows Phone
How to Fix Error 0X80240017 in Windows 8 and 8.1?