I never knew there was a problem with PDF files not showing thumbnail image until I got a brand new 64 bit computer and installed Windows 8. I got a huge collection of PDF files which I prefer to display as thumbnails, so as to make it easier to find the book I wanted. Fortunately I was able to fix it in Windows 8 using an article online. It worked perfectly until I decided to go for Windows 8.1. It was a clean installation and the same problem returned. The fix which worked for Windows 8 did not work for 8.1. I was able to find a work around to fix the problem in Windows 8.1. In this tutorial, I will show the fix for no thumbnail for PDF files in Windows 8 and 8.1.
Fix for Windows 8
- The fix for Windows 8 is mentioned in the link
- Scroll down the page, download the zip file with or without installer (both will do the job)
- Follow the instructions as mentioned in the website.
- Clear the thumbnail cache by opening disk properties and select disk cleanup.
This fix worked for me in Win 8.
Work around for Windows 8.1
The fix that worked in Windows 8 didn’t work in 8.1. I even tried the manual methods offered in the above website. Try this step.
- Install Foxit Reader (any other PDF reader might do the job for you. But I selected Foxit as it is the best alternative to Adobe PDF Reader)
- Clear the thumbnail cache
That’s it. You should have the thumbnail preview displayed for PDF files. You can either use Adobe or Foxit as default PDF reader and the thumbnail will still be displayed.
- This is not a fix, but a work around for this problem. I will be happy if this worked for somebody who is looking for a quick fix.
- It seems Adobe does not care about this issue and busy with fixing the security holes which is constantly reported. Thanks to the anonymous user for finding the fix which worked for me initially.
Hope this article helped you fix no thumbnail Preview for PDF files issue in Windows 8 or 8.1.