Internet Explorer 11 is the best IE versions ever released by Microsoft. It also holds a major market share when it comes to number of users behind Google Chrome. However IE11 is still exposed to performance deterioration after certain period of time. This can lead to IE11 hanging periodically which also makes it look like Windows 7 is also affected. In this article, we will discuss what to do in such cases. The troubleshooting steps can also be tried on IE11 in windows 8 or 8.1.
Step by step instructions to fix when IE11 hangs Windows 7
- Clean the temporary cache files
The temporary files gets accumulated over a period of time. These temp files may have malicious files and scripts which may change the way IE works or it can lead to further file conflicts. Use these methods to clean temporary file from computer.
- Use Download Ccleaner to remove temporary files. If you like the manual method, try this.
- Press Windows Key + R to open Run windows. Type temp to open temp folder. Remove all the files inside.
- Inside Run window, type %temp%, which opens the user account temp folder. Remove all the files inside.
- Inside Run window, type Prefetch, which opens Prefetch folder. Remove all the files inside.
Note: You may not be able to remove all the files inside the folder using the manual method. But remove as many files as possible and leave the rest. Running Ccleaner is highly recommended as it capable of reaching more areas to remove temp files which is difficult to do with manual method.
- Run Internet Explorer without add-on
Try running Internet explorer without add-on and work on it for some time to check if it is hanging. If the IE works file without hanging, possibility is that an add-on or multiple add-ons are responsible for the problem. To run IE without add-on,
- Press Windows Key + R to open Run window. Type iexplore.exe -extoff
If it seems add-on is causing the problem, try this
- Type inetcpl.cpl inside Run window. Click OK. This will open Internet Properties window
- Click on Programs Tab
- Click Manage add-ons
- On the right side of Toolbars and Extensions, you can see the list of installed add-ons. Look for any suspicious or unused add-on. Click on that add-on. Down below, you can see the Enable or Disable button. Use it to disable unwanted add-ons. Close the window.
- Do an IE optimization
Try an IE optimization which optimize IE to give maximum performance. Try the steps mentioned here in this article.
Note: The steps explained here are on IE7, but it is not difficult to follow as the options are same for all versions of IE.
- Reset Internet Explorer to original settings
If the issue could not be fixed by now, there is a possibility that the core IE related files are damaged. Try resetting Internet Explorer to original manufacturer settings.
- Type inetcpl.cpl inside Run window. Go to Advanced Tab. Click on Reset.
Hopefully any of the above steps will help fixing IE11 hanging problem in Windows 7.
How to do a complete Internet explorer optimization?
Fix corrupted Internet explorer
Recover Webpage – How to Fix Internet Explorer Freezing up?