The error is related to Windows update. The error usually happens when an update is initiated from your end when you want to manually check and install updates. Users who prefer to install Windows update automatically rarely see this error. Usually a simple restart and update fix most problems. But if the update is returning frequently, there might be a problem.
There was a problem checking for updates.
Code 80244019 Windows Update ran into a problem.
How to fix Windows Update Error 80244019
- Check Windows Update services are running properly
It is important to check if the services related to Windows update are running properly. Try these steps.
- Press Windows Key + R for Run window
- Type services.msc for opening services window
- Check Windows Update and BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) is running. There services need to be running for Windows update to work properly. If the status is already running, go to properties and try to restart the service. This is to ensure the services are running properly without errors. After the checking, close Services window.
You can also do the same manually in command prompt window. Open command prompt with admin rights, use the command net start BITS and net start wuauserv
Restart computer and check if the problem is fixed.
- Run Microsoft update troubleshooter
This is a tool developed by Microsoft to troubleshoot windows update issues. The tool automatically does the same steps mentioned above and much more than what is done in step 1. Here is a link to Microsoft update troubleshooter.
- Install the Windows update manually
This is one of the steps that works in most cases.
- Note down the windows update number
- Go to Microsoft websites and use the update name to download and install the update.
If it worked, good for you. But if the windows update fails to install manually, there is possibility of third party conflict.
- Install Windows update in Safe Mode
Microsoft recommends installing major updates such as service packs or anniversary updates in Safe Mode. This is because all third party services are disabled in Safe Mode. Installing Windows update in Safe Mode reduce the possibility of conflicts with third party software.
If the Windows update is successful in Safe Mode, you may have a conflict with third party software. Usually Security software’s are the number 1 culprit when it comes to blocking Windows update. Re-configure the Security software settings to allow download and install Windows update with any problem.
Hope this should fix the problem. Use the comment section to share your experience.