Some users are facing problems when upgrading to Windows 8.1 from Windows Store. On clicking the Windows 8.1 update in Windows store, a message shows up “You must log onto an account that has administrator privileges”. The user is left with no options to proceed further. This article will show you the step by step process to fix this issue.
Steps to Fix “You must log onto an account that has administrator privileges” Error while upgrading to Windows 8.1 from Windows Store
KB2871389 is an update that enable Windows 8 or Windows RT to update to latest Windows 8.1 or Windows 8.1 RT. The update might be corrupted which is preventing the update to Windows 8.1. Check if the issue can be fixed by removing the update.
- Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> On the left side click on Installed Updates
- Search for KB2871389. Uninstall the update.
- Restart computer.
- Login back using the admin account
- Go to change PC settings
- Go to Windows update
- The page will show that KB2871389 is listed to get installed. Click on the link to download the update.
- When it asks to log in again, use your admin account. Go to windows store and then choose 8.1 update.
The steps above should work. If not, here are some other steps that can be tried to fix the problem.
Additional troubleshooting steps that can be tried to fix the problem
Create new admin account and update
A corrupted user profile may block proper functioning of Windows. Create a new user account. Now try to update from Windows Store using the new Admin account.
Clear Windows Store Cache
- Open Run window using Windows Key + R
- Type the command WSReset.exe
The command will reset the store cache which might help in fixing the problem.
Refresh your PC without affecting existing files
- Press Windows Key + C for Charms Windows
- choose Settings -> Select Change PC Settings
- Select Update and Recovery on the left side
- Click on Refresh your PC. Follow the instructions. You may have to use Windows 8 disk to complete the refresh.
- Once the reset is complete, log into windows, install the updates and then install Windows 8.1 from Windows Store.
Hope this article helped you in fixing the problem. Use the comment section for any queries.