Error 0x800705b4 is a common error when it comes to updating Windows OS. The update error can happen anytime when trying to install Windows 10 anniversary update to Windows Defender update.
These problems can happen from variety of reasons, as a result of a corrupted service associated with Windows update or a corrupted Security software or a corrupted operating system itself. Here is a list of steps that can be tried to fix the error 0x800705b4. Try the steps in the order and check if the problem is fixed after performing each step.
Steps to fix Windows 10 update error 0x800705b4
Fix services associated with Windows update
- Press Windows Key + R to open Run window
- Type services.msc to open Services Window
- Right click on Windows Update and click on Start. If it is already started, click Restart. This is to check there is no error message and the service is running properly.
- Right click on Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS), click properties, under the Startup type, select Disabled.
- Restart computer
- Open Run window again using Windows Key + R shortcut
- Type %windir%\SoftwareDistribution
- Now delete all the files and folders in this location. It’s okay to leave files and folders that refuse to get removed, but remove as much as possible
- Open Services windows as mentioned above
- Right click on BITS service, go to properties, make it Automatic from the option Startup type. Click OK. It’s good if you try to restart the service to make sure no error message is popping up.
Manually download and install Windows update
For some reason the updates may still fail to download. A solution is to download windows update manually and then try installing it. For Windows update, go to http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/. Enter the KB number of the update that failed to download in search window. Click download. Then try to install the downloaded file.
Do a SFC scan
SFC stands for System File Checker. The scan is done to check for operating system integrity. If the core files are modified or corrupted, SFC scan will correct those errors.
- Right click on Start button, select Command Prompt (Admin)
- Type sfc /scannow
The scan will start now. The scan may take time depending on how many core files are corrupted and performance of hardware. Sometimes, the scan might ask you to put operating system disk if there is too many files are corrupted. Put the disk and click OK to continue the scan.
Once the scan is complete, try to do windows update. If it fails, try the next step.
Configure security software or firewall properly
The failure to do a Windows update might be because of a conflict with third party programs and applications. Since security software is more associated with core Windows OS files for protection, they are more responsible for these sorts of problems. Check if your security software and firewall is running and configured properly.
It is advised to remove all security software and firewall. Then try to install windows update. Once the problem is fixed, you may install back your security software.
Hope these steps help you in fixing the problem. Use the comment section to share your feedback and any additional information to fix this problem.