Working for Microsoft Tech Support, one of the most frequent problem that come to us is regarding problems with having a genuine copy of Windows. One main cause is when the computer vendor use a volume license copy to install Windows 10 beyond the allowed limit.
In most cases, the final solution is to uy a genuine copy of Windows 10 and update the product key.
Why change product key
These are the possible scenarios when you should use the method described here to change the product key
- You bought a genuine product key from Microsoft and want to make your product genuine without re-installing from scratch.
- You are forced to do a repair installation with another disk to fix operating system problem. Once the repair is complete, the operating system is now updated with product key from the other disk which is not genuine. Now you want to change it back to original product key.
Different methods to change product key in Windows 10
Change Windows 10 product key from Settings window
- Open Settings
- Go to Update & security
- Click Activation on the left side
- Click Change product key
- Enter the 25-digit product key
- Click Next
Change Windows 10 product key from Control Panel
- Right click on Start Button
- Open System
- Under Windows activation, Click Change product key
Change Windows 10 product key using command prompt
- Right click on Start button
- Click Command Prompt (Admin)
- Enter the command slmgr.vbs /ipk <25-digit product key>
- Press Windows Key + R to open Run window
- Type slui. This open the Enter a product key window. Follow the steps to complete the process.
Follow the steps to complete activation.