You turned on your computer. Nothing is happening. You know the machine is running as you can hear the fan running and CPU’s LED light is blinking. Then you get a message “bootmgr is missing”. Your first instinct will be to restart it multiple times, but still the same issue. Even trying to boot in safe mode won’t help in these situations. Most of us might have experienced the same atleast once if you are a computer user some time. Luckily the solution is very simple.
Windows 7 comes with an option to do a startup repair using the windows 7 installation disk. However if you have a branded computer from manufacturers such as Dell, Acer, HP, Toshiba, Lenovo etc, you may not have an installation disk. For those who don’t have an installation disk or misplaced or scratched the original disk, it is recommended to create a windows 7 repair disk. The repair disk will help you to prepare yourself for disaster before it happens.
Minimum Requirement for Windows 7 Repair Disk
- Blank writable CD/DVD
- Computer with Windows 7 Operating System installed
Step by Step procedure to create Windows 7 Repair Disk
1) Click Start -> Control Panel -> Backup and Restore Applet
2) Click -> Create a system repair disk. This will launch the repair disc tool in a separate window. In case, if you didn’t get the repair disk window open, don’t worry. Click Start -> Type recdisc. Open the recdisc link which then opens the repair disk window.
3) Select the drive where disk is inserted
You need to select the disk on which you want to create windows 7 repair disk. Use the drop down window to select the disk and then click “create disc”
4) Burn the disk
The “create disc” button initiates burning the system recovery files to the CD or DVD. This takes less than 5mts based on the processing power of your computer. Mine took a little more than 3mts with a medium level computer. Label the disk “Windows 7 Repair Disk”, so that you wont misplace it again.
That’s it. Now you have a Windows 7 Repair Disk. Having showed you this, I need to tell you how to use it when disaster strikes.
How to use Windows 7 repair disk?
1) Turn on your PC, insert the Windows 7 Repair Disk and Reboot PC.
2) Press any key when prompted so. Once the key is pressed, it starts loading files from the disk.
3) Select the right options and then click Next
4) Select Repair your Computer
5) Select your operating system and click Next
6) You will be given a list of variety of recovery tools to help you fixing the issue. Most of the times, just doing a Startup Repair fixes most of the issues.
7) Restart your computer to check if the problem is fixed.
Be prepared now or be sorry later. Make sure you create Windows 7 Repair Disk as early as possible to be on the safer side.