When you turn on the PC, some users might find the Num lock key disabled by default. They have to turn it on before using the Num Lock key. This issue cannot be fixed by making sure that the Num Lock key is turned on before shutting down the PC. The Num Lock will go back to turned off when it starts.
How to turn on Num Lock on startup
This can be achieved by 2 methods – One by a simple registry tweak and second option is using Power Plan settings.
- Press Windows Key + R for the Run window
- Type regedit. Hit Enter
- Navigate to following key : HKEY_USERS\DEFAULT\ControlPanel\Keyboard.
- Double Click and Open InitialKeyboardIndicators. Change the string value to ‘2’. This will turn on Num Lock Key by default.
- A value of 0 to turn off all the options
- A value of 1 to turn on Caps Lock
- Close Registry Editor window and Restart PC. Check if the Num Lock is turned on by default.
Turn off Fast Startup to enable Num Lock
- Open Control Panel
- Click Power Plan
- On the left side, click Choose what the power button does
- Click Power saver on the right. Click Change Plan Settings
- Click Change settings that are currently unavailable
- Under shutdown settings, uncheck the option Turn on fast startup
Restart the computer and hopefully Num Lock is turned on by default.