There are more instances of error 0x80240017 especially after the release of Windows 8.1. The error code is related to missing certain system files and also corrupted registry. The error might result in certain Apps becoming non-responsive, unable to download Apps, unable to do windows update and detect other devices like X-box.
Try these steps
- Download and install free version of Ccleaner. Run a scan. Check the link on how to run ccleaner like a professional. After removing unwanted files and corrupted registry entries, try doing Windows update. (Lot of users have reported success in installing updates after running ccleaner.)
- Download free RegCure from the link. RegCure is a Microsoft Partner and can be trusted. Run a scan and clean the registry. Try Windows update again.
Please Note: You can also try with other registry cleaning software that you trust. There is always a risk associated with using registry cleaning softwares. So please try this at your own risk.
Other methods to try fixing error 0X80240017
- Microsoft released an update KB 2887595 in Nov 2013. The update is supposed to fix the error according to Microsoft. Check the list of installed windows update and check if the update is listed there. If not listed, go to this link for standalone version. Download and install the update. Check if this fix the issue.
- You can also try removing security software from computer, then clean computer using Ccleaner. Now check if the issue is fixed.
- There is no clear cut method in fixing Error 0X80240017. If nothing else worked, maybe its better to reset Windows 8 or 8.1 to original manufacturer settings without losing any files. The details are given in this link.
Hope this article helped you fix the problem. Use the comment section below if you have any queries.