There was this case when a customer complained about missing lot of tiles from the Start menu in the process of fixing a malware problem. It is not clear if the tiles were removed because of the malware attack or if it was removed as part of the troubleshooting steps. Removal of tiles from Start menu rarely happens without a reason. Fortunately, it is easy to restore back the missing tiles
How to restore Start menu tiles normally in Windows 10
- Click on Cortana, type the app name which is missing from Start menu. When you type the name, the App automatically pop up in the list. Now right click on the App, click on the option Pin to Start.
- You may not always be able to recall the Apps that you had before. In that case, click on Start > Go through the list of all Apps > If you find the App you need, right click on the App and click Pin to Start. If it is a folder, expand the folder to view the original App and then Pin to Start.
The steps above are the normal method to bring back tiles to Start menu. If it didn’t work, there is a problem with the operating system. Here are the other steps to fix the problem.
Step by step instructions to restore Start menu tiles in Windows 10
- Create a new user account
The problem might be with a corrupt user account. Create a new user account either an admininstrative or normal user account.
Click Start > Settings > Account > Family & other people > Add someone else to this PC. Follow the instructions.
Once a new user account is created, login and check if the tiles are back normally. If everything is working fine, you can transfer the settings and files from old user account to new user account. Once everything is done exactly as the old user account, you can remove the corrupted user account.
- Do an SFC scan
System File Checker is a valid troubleshooting step, if the problem seems to be with missing and corrupted operating system.
Open command prompt with administrator privileges > type sfc /scannow
Once the scan is complete, restart computer and check if the tiles are back or you can add it back again.
- This happens rarely. If there is more file corruption, the system might ask you to insert the Windows 10 disk to continue with the scan. Just insert the disk or USB stick with OS files to continue the scan)
- SFC scan sometimes take a long time. So do the scan when you have enough time.
- Do a repair installation
If sfc scan failed, the next best thing is to repair Windows 10.
Insert Windows disk and start the installation. When it reaches Ready to install stage, select Keep Windows settings, personal files and Apps. Under Choose what to keep, select Keep personal files, apps and Windows settings. Follow the instructions to complete repair installation.
Feel free to contact me using comment section, if you have any queries to get the problem fixed or share your experience with this problem.