Once you put the iPad idle for some time, it will go to sleep mode. But that don’t protect your iPad from somebody accessing it without permission. You can add an additional layer of security by configuring lock using Passcode in iPad. Once you configure it, the next time you need to enter the Passcode that you set in order to unlock iPad.
1) Start iPad. Go to Settings -> General -> Tap on Passcode Lock to turn it on.
2) You will be prompted to enter four digits. Make sure to remember this number or else you will be in trouble later.
3) Set access. You may allow access to Siri or Picture Frame. Slide it to off, if you don’t want it.
4) You may turn off the simple Passcode to use complex code of a combination of letters and digits. Insert the complex password without forgetting it or else you will be locked out.
5) Erase Data. To add an additional layer of security, you may also configure to Erase data after certain failed attempts. Turn on Slide Erase Data.