We all come across situations where we want the PC to shutdown automatically at a certain time. Unfortunately, there are no default applications which can do the job. There are some third party programs which can help you with scheduling this function. But without the help of third party programs, you can easily schedule a task to shut down windows at a certain time.
The steps mentioned here are valid in Windows 7, 8, 8,8.1 and 10.
Here is how to set automatic shut off timer in your PC
- Press Windows Key + R to open the Run window
- Type taskschd.msc to open task scheduler window
- Click Create Basic Task
- Name the Task. Add description if you want. Then click Next
- Select the frequency of the scheduled task i.e., if you want the task to continue daily or only at a certain time. After selection, click Next
- Select the Date and Time. Click Next
- You need to select an Action here. Click Start a Program
- Under Program/ script, click browse and select the file located in C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe as shown in the picture
Under add arguments, type –s –f (-s triggers shut down and –f triggers shutting down all processes in the background
- Click Next, then Finish.
Scheduling is done. Now you can leave home or go for work not worrying about shutting down your PC at a certain time.