Just like any previous Windows installation, Windows 10 also download updates and install it when you shut down or reboot the computer. Depending on which update is getting installed, it may take just a few seconds or maybe longer to install these updates. It is recommended not to force shut down while installing update as it may corrupt the installation which can lead to an OS crash or even a no boot situation.
Imagine a scenario, you need to shut down the computer and have no time to wait for windows update to get installed. The solution here is to postpone installing windows update for later and force computer to shut down without installing the update.
Here is how to shut down Windows 10 without installing updates
By using ALT + F4 method
- Keep pressing ALT + F4 until all the open windows are closed
- Keep pressing it which automatically open the shutdown window
- Select shutdown
By using command prompt
- Right click on Start button
- Select Command Prompt (Admin)
- Use the command shutdown /s /t 0 for shutdown or shutdown /r /t 0 for reboot