SSG is a revolutionary new storage technology that is ready to be incorporated in graphics card for tomorrow.
- SSG is the latest technology in graphics card which is going to make revolutionary changes in the field of graphics and virtual reality.
- SSG is basically an SSD (Solid State Drive) inside a Graphics card.
SSD is a storage technology where data is stored inside flash memory. In traditional hard disks, data is stored on spinning platters and read by a read write head which keeps moving to read data. In SSD, flash memory is used to save data. This is the same memory that is used in pen drives, camera etc. Data transfer using flash memory is very quick. They don’t make any sound as there are no moving parts involved for reading and writing data. In short, SSD is much faster and work quieter than traditional hard disks.
- Based on the advantages of SSD, research has been going on for some time to incorporate SSD inside graphics card. The benefits are more storage space inside graphics card, faster data transfer to achieve faster data processing.
- AMD released Radeon Pro Graphics Card which is the first SSG card released in market
- Radeon Pro comes 1TB of memory which is a 100 times more memory than some of the best graphics card in market. This is the first time graphics card came with TB memory.
- 1TB of graphics card memory is an obscene amount of memory. Graphics with the most memory in the market today are Nvidia Quadro M6000 comes with 24 GDDR4 and AMD FirePro S9170 comes with 32GB GDDR5. When these models are considered obscene amount of memory, imagine what it feels like to have a graphics card with 1TB memory.
- The Graphics card will now directly take data from SSG instead of RAM. Previously, when a video card wants to process certain information, it directly looks into GDDR5 or GDDR3. If not present, it then checks in RAM and then ask CPU to give the information for processing. In the technology with SSG, it first checks GDDR5 or GDDR3 space for processing data, then it checks SSG. Since SSG have lot of storage space, frequently used data can easily be stored inside.
- Graphics card will be able to able effortlessly churn out ultra-high definition 8k video. In a recent SIGGRAPH presentation, AMD demonstrated 8k video at 90fps.
- AMD Radeon Pro developer kit is priced at around $10000. If you are filthy rich and totally into graphics, go for it. For others, you need to wait for some time for the technology to ripen and AMD will be able to offer this graphics card at affordable price.
- You will be able to install Radeon Pro on any computer with a PCI Express x16 slot. Every PC released in the last 5yrs will have this slot.
- Organizations which are into the business of graphics and multimedia can hugely benefit from this technology. This is a dream come true for game developers and special effects creators. According to AMD, the technology is also very beneficial in the field of medicine as doctors will be able to see the live 3D view of every organ in the body leading to accurate diagnosis and treatment. CAD designers don’t have to wait long time for their machines to boot up with the finished model. VR technology, one of the fastest growing is also going to benefit a lot by using faster streaming videos and special effects.