Reading Time: 3 minutes
Checking the computer temperature frequently is essential to correctly diagnose the slow performance and frequent computer shut down without warning. The fact is that in case of overheating of one of the component parts, the processing and transfer of data become much slower than usual, and in exceptional cases, when the temperature reaches critical points, the protection mechanism is triggered and the computer itself turns off. Consider the built-in Windows tools to check this indicator, as well as third-party programs that can provide detailed information on this issue.
How to check the temperature using built-in resources
A computers temperature can be checked using BIOS. BIOS which is the built-in firmware inside a computer is now programmed to record a variety of parameters including temperature. However, checking BIOS for finding the temperature is not the most preferred method.
The problem in this method is that you need to restart the computer to check the BIOS. However, some modern BIOS does allow users to check the readings directly from inside the operating system screen.
- Another problem is when your computer is restarted it allows the system to cool off a little which result in not displaying the correct reading.
- The third problem is your computer temperature is at its peak when it is interacting with corrupt files, third-party programs, device drivers and games.
- To reach BIOS, keep tapping the Del button as soon as the computer is turned on. In some computers, it might be F2, F8 or F12 based on the computer manufacturer. The information regarding the temperature will be displayed straight up in the BIOS start screen. In case if it is not there, then this parameter should be found in one of the sections: PC Health Status, Hardware Monitor, Status, Monitor.
Find temperature using Windows PowerShell
- In Windows 10, right click on Start window
- Select Windows PowerShell (Admin)
- Type the command Get-WmiObject MSAcpi_ThermalZoneTemperature -Namespace “root/wmi”
- Hit Enter
The screen displays many lines. Look for the line CurrentTemperature. On the right side, you can see the number. Divide the number by 10 and then reduce it by 273. The result will be the computer temperature in degree Celsius.
If the PowerShell method didn’t work, it must be a problem with corrupted Powershell, corrupted Operating system or some changes in OS settings.
Third-party software to check the temperature of the computer
Some users don’t prefer to use third party software as they may use additional resources and may slow down the computer further. But third-party software may carry additional details. For eg, CPU temperature, fan speed, etc. The built-in tools usually give general information, but not as detailed as third-party software.
This tool is considered a full-featured product for obtaining data on all components that are installed on a computer or laptop. The same applies to temperature indicators. The only drawback is that it is paid, but a demo mode will be enough to get the parameter in question. After downloading and installation, in order to find out how the temperature of all components is now directly, it is necessary:
- open the “Computer” tab;
- click on the item “Sensors”;
- In the right part of the window, all information of interest will be displayed, including the interpretation of temperatures by cores.
Open hardware monitor
This is a completely free tool which can be downloaded from the official site. Once the installation is complete, follow the next steps.
- Go to the main menu on Sensor, located in the Windows section;
- Open the computer in the list
- Expand the processor
This will display the component and its values including the temperature details. You can even check each CPU core temperature.
This utility is easy to use with a simple user interface. Even a newbie will be easy to deal with. Download this program from the official site and install it. After launch, the information we are interested in will be displayed below (highlighted in the screenshot).
Due to the fact that this utility consumes very few resources, it can be kept always on in the background and constantly monitor the parameter in question.
From the temperature of the computer depends on its speed and correct operation. Therefore, when hanging up and randomly shutting down, before removing unnecessary programs, check the system for viruses, etc., check the initially considered parameter, because it will take a few seconds and it may be that it is overheating.