Apple made the HEIC image the default image format in new iPhone models.
What is HEIC?
HEIC (High Efficiency Image File Format) is a format whose size can be reduced without losing image quality. The file extension comes as .heic and .heif. Apple developed this format with one goal in mind – so that users who take photos on their iPhone can make the most of both local storage and iCloud storage.
iOS can convert HEIC to JPG images. But if you moved the photos to a Windows PC, then there will be difficulties. Windows can open HEIC files, but alas not convert.
How to convert HEIC to JPEG in PC
There are 2 methods
- Online services to convert HEIC to JPEG
- Software to convert HEIC to JPEG
How to convert HEIC to JPEG online
Online method is easy. You don’t have to install separate software for the purpose. But online conversion might take time depending on the size of the file and quality of internet connection. A slow and frequently interrupted internet connection might reduce image quality.
- Visit the site Coolutils.
- Use the Browse button to upload the file from the hard disk
- At the end click on the button “Download Convertible File”
- Select which format should the uploaded picture need to be converted
- Click on Download Convertible File
The conversion quality using the website is normal.
How to convert HEIC to JPEG in Windows
Online methods can be used for image conversion, but PC does a better job by doing the conversion using the software. The software can utilize powerful hardware to make sure the file conversion is done at its best without losing image quality. Also, you can avoid online limitations such as image conversion in bulk and internet performance problems.
- Install CopyTrans HEIC
- CopyTrans HEIC does not have a graphical interface software. Instead, right-click on the HEIC image
- Click on Convert to JPEG with CopyTrans
- The newly created JPEG image will be created in the same location as the HEIC file
Note: If you want to do bulk conversions, select all the HEIC images that need to be converted, then right-click and select Convert to JPEG with CopyTrans
The conversion quality using software compared to the Online method is almost the same. But for the trained eyes, they might find the software created a much better image after conversion. Also remember, the JPEG image quality is always a little less than HEIC, as JPEG format is meant to reduce file size without any loss in quality.