Microsoft decided to stop supporting Windows 10 Mobile on December 10, 2019. The company has released a separate page on the support portal, which informs about the completion of the maintenance of the mobile operating system.
For some individual phones on Windows 10 Mobile, system support may be terminated earlier. All mobile devices updated to Windows 10 Mobile version 1709 will continue to receive updates until the end of the life cycle. However, smartphones running Windows 10 Mobile version 1703 will no longer receive updates after June 11, 2019.
Completing mobile OS support does not mean that users will not be able to exploit their devices. Just devices on Windows 10 Mobile after December 10 will no longer receive security updates and other types of updates.
Microsoft warns users:
Your Windows 10 Mobile devices will continue to work after December 10, 2019, but will no longer receive any updates after this date (including security updates), and the backup function and other supporting services will stop working.
According to Microsoft, the system can be extended for a fee or with the help of third-party solutions.
Microsoft recommends that customers switch to Android and iOS systems (and use Microsoft applications on these devices):
Due to the completion of support for Windows 10 Mobile, we recommend that customers switch to supported Android or iOS devices. Microsoft’s mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve greater results forces us to support mobile applications on these platforms and devices.
Useful information on the completion of support for Windows 10 Mobile
- Support for Windows 10 Mobile version 1703 will end on June 11, 2019.
- Support for Windows 10 Mobile version 1709 will end on December 10, 2019.
- Creation of new backup copies of the device will stop on March 10, 2020.
- The Windows Device Recovery tool will continue to provide recovery discs for Windows 10 Mobile devices. Microsoft has not made official statements about the completion of the support tool.
- The functions of uploading photos and restoring from backups will work for 12 months after the end of support (until June 11, 2020, or until December 10, 2020, depending on the version of Windows 10 Mobile).
- The app store can continue to work after support is complete.
- Support Update Center still supports updates for Windows 10 Mobile devices. Microsoft says it is not planned to remove previously released updates from Windows Update.
- Users who decide to continue using Windows 10 Mobile devices after the end of support will be able to create backup copies manually. To do this, go to Settings> Update and Security> Backup> Advanced Options> Create Backup .
Microsoft failed to gain a foothold in the mobile market. The acquisition of Nokia did not allow a qualitative change in this regard.
The end of Windows 10 Mobile support and the shift in focus to the release of applications for Android and iOS devices marks the end of the era of Redmond’s unsuccessful attempts to create a popular mobile operating system.