Reading Time: 1 minute
Microsoft Edge is slowly and steadily getting popular in browser market. Edge is known for its minimalistic design and fast performance with improved security features. The browser is getting better and is good enough to compete with the fastest and most popular Google Chrome.
Just like in Chrome, Edge also allow Power users to configure flags under Developer settings which can be used to make it faster and improve performance on specific features. But making these changes also come with its risk. You may risk crashing Edge browser or deteriorate overall performance after making wrong changes. Here is one such problem after making changes on Edge flags.
Why block Developer settings in Edge
Changes made in Edge may cause it to crash. Sometimes a change made which was supposed to improve performance, may actually deteriorate the performance. To prevent productivity loss, it is better to disable Developer settings rather than allowing others to play with it.
Disable Developer settings in Microsoft Edge
- Press Windows Key + R to open Run window
- Type regedit to open Registry Editor
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Policies\ Microsoft
- Right click Microsoft folder > select New > click Key > name it MicrosoftEdge
- Right click MicrosoftEdge folder > select New > click Key > name it Main
- Click Main. On the right side pane, right click > select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value
- Name the value PreventAccessToAboutFlagsinMicrosoftEdge
- Double click PreventAccessToAboutFlagsinMicrosoftEdge > Enter the value as 1
- Click OK and Restart computer
Now check if you can open about:flags in Edge. In case, if you want to re-enable the settings, change the value of PreventAccessToAboutFlagsinMicrosoftEdge to 0. Shifting the values is better than removing and creating the registry key again.
Use the comment section for any queries.