Usually, when you log into Windows 8 or 8.1, you will be taken straight to Metro UI. Microsoft meant well by introducing the Metro User Interface for the purpose of introducing Apps and working on touchscreen devices. But not all are comfortable with Metro Interface especially the ones who use a regular PC and don’t have any touchscreen.
How to log in straight to Desktop in Windows 8.1 without Metro UI
These steps are applicable to Window 8 as well.
- Right click on the empty space in Taskbar
- Select Properties
- Select Navigation Tab
- Check the option, When I sign in or close all apps on a screen, go to the desktop instead of Start
- Click OK. Restart Computer and check if it takes you directly to the desktop.
How to bypass user login screen
- Some users prefer to automatically log into the desktop without the user login screen. Follow the steps to do it.
- Press Windows Key + R
- Type netplwiz. Click OK
- Uncheck the option, Users must enter a username and password to use this computer.
- Click Apply
- Enter your existing password twice. Click OK.
- Restart Computer.
Now your computer will straight away login to the desktop by bypassing user login screen and Metro UI.