Reading Time: 2 minutes
Screenshots are used to capture an image instance of the entire screen. The screenshots are saved in picture format. Screenshots are usually taken to capture the output on a screen and then use it to share with others for troubleshooting purpose or use as a reference for later use.
Take screenshot using iPhone or iPad
- Press Power button on the top right side of the device and Home button together.
The screen will flash once with the sound of camera shutter indicating the screenshot was captured. The captured screenshot automatically gets saved inside the Photos App.
Take Screenshot using iPhone 7
The Home button on iPhone 7 is different from previous models. But the method remains same.
- Press Home Button and press Power button on right side at the same time.
To view the captured screenshot, go to home page and open Photos App. The picture will be listed inside.
If you want to share the screenshot, select the sceenshot, tap Share button, then select how to share the pic. For e.g. via message, whatsapp, twitter etc.
Convert the screenshot to JPG from PNG
The screenshots by default are saved as .png. Though there is no problem with PNG format, some applications may not support PNG and most prefer JPG over PNG. If you want to convert PNG to JPG, here are some methods you can try.
- Download an App, that support converting PNG to JPG. For e.g. JPEG <-> PNG 〜Image file format converter〜. There are similar Apps in Apple store. Use such Apps to convert these PNG files to JPG.
- Transfer the PNG files to your Mac. Use Applications such as Adobe or image converters to convert the file type.
- This is a much more techie way to convert image to different format. Open Terminal and type the command
defaults write com.apple.screencapture type jpg; killall SystemUIServer (PNG to JPG)
defaults write com.apple.screencapture type gif; killall SystemUIServer (PNG to GIF)
- Go to Settings -> General -> Accessibility
- Tap AssistiveTouch -> Turn it on
- A Virtual Button will appear on the screen.
- Now go to the screen which you would like to take the screenshot (The virtual button will be floating on the screen.)
- Click on virtual button.
- Tap Device
- Tap on More
- Tap Screenshot
Your screenshot will now be saved inside Photos App.