Huawei, the Chinese manufacturer has presented its own operating system HarmonyOS. The OS is a fully-fledged alternative to Android and is in a ready to use stage now. The OS is designed to be used on smartphones, smartwatch, and tablets and in the future maybe Laptops and PC’s.
Huawei HarmonyOS released at the perfect time
Huawei has been in the workshop to develop its own operating system as early as 2012. It’s been a while they have been working on this technology. But the arrival of Harmony OS comes at the right time. Donald Trump, the US President has put sanctions on Huawei regarding concerns on security and intellectual property thefts. Google was forced to put a lock on Huawei using Android OS starting from Aug 2019 because of the sanctions. However, the date is now extended to a later time after 3 months.
By making sure, the HarmonyOS is now ready to be loaded on Huawei devices, the company doesn’t have to worry about Android sanctions anymore. Please Note: HarmonyOS still may not be a full-fledged OS and it may take some time to reach the level of maturity as in Android OS.
Future Scope for HarmonyOS
There are concerns regarding the success of HarmonyOS. Here are some points which might make the new OS very successful.
- China is the largest smartphone market in the world. The trade war between the US and China has created a wave of patriotism. Users are now more biased towards buying the products that are native to their country. in China, most smartphones run on Android – although unlike the West without Google services. With a huge population and the largest smartphone market which might switch OS, HarmonyOS can easily become a major competitor to Android OS and iOS.
- Huawei is the world’s number two smartphone brand after Samsung. This means more smartphones with the new OS.
- HarmonyOS is almost similar to Android. Users who are able to navigate through Android will find the OS equally user-friendly. Users from other manufacturers might also migrate to the new OS which will significantly increase the mobile OS market share.
- Unlike OS, HarmonyOS is designed to be used on a variety of devices such as smartphone, tablet, laptop, smartphones, IoT devices, and on it network technologies.
- The Apps that can be used in Android can also be used in the Harmony OS.
- Harmony OS is open-source which means the possibility of more developers coming up with more Apps that can make your life easier. More Apps attract more users.
Huawei made clear that Harmony OS should become a full-fledged alternative to Android. “We want to establish a global operating system that is not just used by Huawei,” said Huawei manager Richard Yu. The development of private Business Cloud could break the current operating system duopoly of Android from Google and iOS from Apple in the smartphone market.
Some Facts about HarmonyOS
Here are some facts about Harmony OS.
- Harmony OS is open-sourced. Develeopers have the access to source code. They can look at the codes, make changes and add new features to make the job easy.
- Harmony OS is a microkernel-based OS. It means the codes directly communicate with the hardware. The system services run in user mode keeping the kernel tightly secured. The OS kernel is said to be a thousand times smaller than the Linux OS.
- Huawei provides its developers, an Integrated Development Environment (IDE) that work on multiple devices. Huawei Ark Compiler also helps developers to compile languages such as Java, C/C++, Kotlin, etc.
For now, Huawei’s priority is to use Android to keep its ecosystem of apps and other services from splitting, Yu assured the group’s in-house developer conference. “But if we do not have access to it in the future, we can switch to Harmony OS immediately,” said Yu. And Huawei could do it in a few days. “Switching from Android to Huawei OS is not that difficult, it’s actually very easy.”