Reading Time: 1 minute
Google chrome is the most popular browser in the market. It can be used to browse websites and also download files. The downloaded file destination is usually inside the system root drive (drive location where OS is installed, in most cases, it is C:\ drive) > users folder > user account > Downloads folder.
Problems with downloading files in chrome default location
- If too many files are downloaded using Chrome, this will eat up free space available in system root drive. It is always recommended to keep enough free space inside system root drive for proper functioning and optimum performance of Operating System.
- If malicious files are downloaded inside system root drive, there is a higher risk of this malware getting executed accidentally and create problems.
- It is easier to access downloaded documents and media files on a custom location than on a default location.
Change default Google chrome download folder
- Open Chrome
- Click Customize and Control Google Chrome (3 dots aligned vertically on the right side of the window)
- Click Settings
- Scroll down to Show advanced settings
- Find Downloads under the Settings option
- Click Change and assign a new location
Once the changes are made, all new downloads will be saved inside the new location.